Memorial Day 2015

by - 8:54 AM

I have this theory -- not that mine ever have fact to back them up or anything, but you know,  it's just my hypothesis. Anyway, the theory: I think, nay I am convinced, someone in this town has really bad Mother Nature Karma.

No seriously, hear me out. Monday through Friday, the days are sunny. They're warm. They're like a blessing straight from the hands of God with the hallelujah chorus bumping in the background like an old Honda with a bad speaker system rolling through your neighborhood with the bass turned up too loud.

Right, Monday through Friday. You know, those days that are spent in an office.

And then the weekend comes -- and we're working on like, three weekends in a row, so I'm not exaggerating -- and it rains or the temperature drops. Or worse, both. And that Honda? It turns the radio down because it's lost in your maze of a sub-division and if the radio is turned up, they'll never get out of this mess. That's a fact.

I'm getting wordy, or maybe I've been wordy. The point of my story is that this morning, I saw the sun shining through my bedroom window and I popped up like a ninja late for work. The sun on a Sunday!  Potential heat! All of the good things! Let's go live it.

****


I'm going to be honest right from the get-go today. I still feel like I'm phoning it in when it comes to writing. I'm not sure why and I don't understand where the spark went. But's it's 100% gone. I just don't feel it anymore. 

But, I recently heard this thing: "You can spend your time, or you can invest your time." The point being, of course, that time will pass regardless of how you utilize it -- or don't. 

So, I'm investing. 



Last weekend with the holiday on the agenda and all kinds of fun planned, I popped my niece in the back seat of my car, loaded up on candy and root beer, and headed to Sleeping Bear for an afternoon.

Highlights:
-It was cold, but the sun was out and the mosquitos were sort of bearable. They remind me of summer, so for now, they stay.
-We saw some random strangers get engaged. Well, they're strangers to us. They seemed to know each other.
-We saw their friends run out from behind some sparse bushes to surprise them with congratulations and photos.

Then we went back on our way.

****

The rest of the weekend rained -- but I'm over it. I'm not whining, I'm presenting the state of the weather as fact. That's all.

Luckily, we used up all the good on Saturday, including the sun. Personally sending it off with a friendly au revoir and inviting it back just about any old time.







****

And while I'm thinking about it, as we head into all the presidential promises this campaign season, I would just like to throw it out there that anyone who supports the permanence of 3-day weekends gets my vote.

Just a thought.



See you in June!

You May Also Like

0 comments