August 24, 2017

by - 4:56 AM


This has been a week of a lot of coffee.

In his myriad of phases, Duke has recently given up sleeping past 3 in the morning, and I am just crossing every finger and toe that this is a quick phase.

I'm going through phases too. Like, on the first day - Monday - when I was disappointed to be awake so early, but still kind of okay. That day, we woke up at 1:25AM and were just in party mode. And by "we" I mean Duke, because I was operating in morning-after-the-party mode, curled up on the couch, sleepily telling my baby not to play with the electrical outlets while he cheerfully bounced around from one dangerous thing to another. But when a couple of days worth of no sleep started to catch up with me, Tuesday is when I started losing my temper and being a crab apple to everyone I talked to. Wednesday was the transitional phase. I started off exhausted and annoyed, but ended the day in total delirium.

Now, here we are on Thursday morning. It's 4am and I'm writing a blog in a delirious state of exhaustion. I just opened the fridge door so Duke can play without crying for five whole minutes and you know what? I'm cool with that because sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

He's in there just chattering away to a container of tofu and I'm taking my moments of joy where I can find them. If we can't be sleeping, at least we can be laughing.

***

Here's hoping my office pool wins the Powerball because I could really use a night-nanny.

You May Also Like

0 comments